Raw Brownies with Healthier Icing
St. Nick came last night and left this silly hat! This is my little reindeer helper Hiro. He always looks this grumpy. Kind of a nervous nell, but he’s my shadow and I adore him.
I made these brownies at a point when my son was recovering from being super sick and had gone months without eating much of anything. It was rough to say the least. He loved these and it made me so happy to see him eating. We are still working on gaining weight. I don’t mind a little sweetness if it will get him to put healthy-ish food in his mouth!
Raw Brownie with Healthy Icing
- 1/4 cup flax
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 4 Tbsp Almond flour, oat flour or any other gluten free flour of your choice
- 1/4 heaping cup Heaping Raw cocao powder
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp WildBlueberry powder (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Hemp Seeds (optional)
- 1 Cup Dates (they need to be soft, so soak them if they are not) ***you can replace dates with any dried fruit–I used 3/4 cup dates, 1/4 cup mulberries
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp Peanut Butter Or wow butter for allergies
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 3 heaping Tbsp Cocao Powder
- 1/4 Avocado optional
For the Brownies
Grind flax, hemp seeds, and chia seeds in coffee grinder. Add all dry ingredients to food processor. Add wet ingredients to food processor and mix until a dough forms. This may take a few minutes. It may be necessary to add more maple syrup.
Spread dough onto parchment paper with a little bit of oil on it.
Mix all ingredients in blender or food processor. You may have to add a plant based milk or more maple syrup to desired consistency.
Put icing on top of brownies and freeze for an hour.
Store in refrigerator 🙂
The great thing about this recipe is that you can sub dry ingredients as you have them and wet ingredients as you please.