Easy Eggy Tofu Sammie
Have I told you how much I love, love, LOVE my air fryer? It is a gift to tofu. It creates this nice crisp/chewy texture that I haven’t been able to emulate by frying or baking. It is definitely my favorite way to make tofu.
If you do not have an air fryer, or if you plan to just eat the tofu alone, I included an easy way to prepare in the recipe notes.
I get a lot of questions about soy. There are many conflicting studies out there. The fact is, soy is good for you in its whole form, as in soybeans or tofu. It is also great when it is fermented as miso and tempeh. I eat tofu probably 3 to 5 days a week and have for the past 10 years. It is in fact protective against breast cancer and can help regulate hormones since it contains plant estrogens. Soy is one of few complete proteins with all of the 9 essential amino acids. There are some great ways to prepare soy. I will give you a few here. It does not have to be complicated! Honestly, soy is one of my lazy meals. If we are in a rush, I slice it up and cook it in an iron skillet, which also gives you iron! Here is a great article out of Harvard talking more about the health benefits and research on soy.
Do you eat soy? How do you like to prepare it? Have you been told to be careful with soy?
Easy Tofu Sammie
- 7.25 oz Extra Firm Tofu Half of a regular sized block
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce or Gluten Free Tamari
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Dash Himalayan Salt optional
- 1 Bagel Gluten Free if needed 🙂
- Franks Red Hot
- Spinach Leaves
Other topping ideas
- Vegan Mayo
- Vegan Cheese Broil in oven for a few minutes to get it to melt
Preheat air fryer for 3 minutes
Drain tofu. Slice into 1/4" long slices--no need to press tofu
Mix all ingredients but tofu together in a container large enough to lay tofu flat
Lay tofu in container. Let sit for a minute. Flip to cover all areas of tofu
Lay in air fryer. Do not layer on top of one another, unless you have a divider
Cook for 10-12 minutes until light brown
Toast bagel and layer toppings. Enjoy!
If you do not have an air fryer, you can always use skillet. My favorite is an iron skillet like these.
- To cook in a skillet, just add a Tbsp of Olive oil to your marinade and cook until brown. It tastes great this way!
- For super easy tofu, slice however you fancy, do a 50/50 mix of soy sauce and olive oil. I do a 1/4 cup of each. Cook until brown on both sides in a skillet. No need to press tofu for this method either. This is my favorite way to eat tofu not on a sandwich.